Friday, February 5, 2010

We're artsy round here.

As I mentioned, we've had lots of snow days. We have spent our days in the house baking, playing, cleaning, playing Mario, organizing and painting.

One day I was getting a little irritable (it was on day 3 or 4 of the 2nd big storm). Brody was really pushing his limits. I was yelling at him for something, and he got sent to his room for a bit. I was in my room doing some things, and went downstairs to the basement to switch the laundry.

When I came back up, I found these sweet flower drawings on my pillows.




:) As you can imagine, I wasn't so irritated anymore! I want to keep them forever because everytime I see them they make me smile. They are now on display on the green dresser in my dining room so I can see them always.

We paint a lot around here. Whether its the walls, furniture, on paper or canvas, rarely a month can go by without me getting out all the paints. I rearranged my furniture after Christmas this year, and was met with a huge blank wall in my living room. I originally wanted to make a huge 4x4 canvas for it, but haven't found a prestretched one that big yet. I haven't stretched my own for years, but I may get it done this summer. Instead of staring at the blank wall for another 6 months, I whipped these 3 up one afternoon.


It's not perfect, and not what I want to hang there forever, but at least it's something to look at! I think I spent 45 minutes on all 3. (I really should have taken a better picture. It was dark already.) They are cool though, layers of the colors in my room. It looks more pink in the pic (bad lighting) but it's actually more of a gold color.
Next project: Jewelry organization.
I should have taken a before picture. I used to just lay out all my necklaces on the dresser, and kept the earrings and rings and bracelets in containers on top. It was a mess, really. Now, my necklaces all hang, my earrings, rings and bracelets are all on display. and you can actually see the top of my dresser!!

This was Brody's latest painting. I let him paint on real canvases and use my good paints. We use a process that I've talked about here to keep his paintings interesting. They always turn out good. This one I just let him do whatever he wanted to. It's hanging in his room right now.




I'll end up using this same canvas again later on, just repainting over what's already there. But for now, it's perfect hanging in his room, and he is very proud of it.




As you can see!!


6 comments:

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

Wow... Very nice. That's a lot of talent you have in that house.

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog so I'm giving you a sunshine award over at my blog!

http://orionsmama.blogspot.com/

B.J. Thompson said...

Grrrreat site, very upbeat and VERY different to my murder blog...oh well, not everyone can be upbeat, right? (wink, wink)

If you're ever inclined for Murder, Manson-style (TLB2)or for a virtual cocktail at my Social Commentary blog (B3), stop by my blogs any old time. I can't promise upbeat but I might serve as the Ying to your Yang!!!

Cordially, (If Not Entirely Sober!)
MsBurb,

High Chief Mucky-Muck of

Burb's Buck & Buntline Inn (B3) http://burbsbuckandbuntlineinn.blogspot.com/

2nd Official Tate-LaBianca Murders Blog (TLB2) http://2ndofficialtate-labiancamurdersblog.blogspot.com/

Kekibird said...

Awesome! I have the artsy bug but not the will to get all of the stuff out. I re-purposed about three pieces of furniture for our place when we moved in June, but ran outta juice. So I have a side table and 1/2 of a wall shelf done. If I could JUST finish!! It's be nice...

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh wow I love it all!! I especially love the one in his room, that is so special!

What an awesome job!

Together We Save said...

Those pictures are pretty. You were wise to fram them quickly.