
This weekend I FINALLY got around to doing the art project with Brody I talked about doing a few months ago.

I had told him the night before we were going to paint in the morning, and he was ready to go, by no later than 7. Can we say EXCITED??? He did a great job, and listened to what I wanted him to do for the most part. I let him choose his own colors and after he had established a pretty good base of color, whatever tools and brushes he wanted.
Here he is going at it. I had already covered up a few parts that I thought were cool. He kept wanting to paint over them.

Here is his again - mid process. After a few layers of color, I would take sections and cover them up with saran wrap, newspaper, and tin foil. We used brushes, sponges, toothbrushes, mixing sticks, anything I could think of. I let Brody use his hands too, towards the end.

This one was mine, mid process. I always forget how much I love to paint.

Here is Brody's, putting on the finishing touches with his fingertips.

This was mine before I ripped off the layers.

And Brody's before taking off the layers.

I had told him the night before we were going to paint in the morning, and he was ready to go, by no later than 7. Can we say EXCITED??? He did a great job, and listened to what I wanted him to do for the most part. I let him choose his own colors and after he had established a pretty good base of color, whatever tools and brushes he wanted.
Here is his again - mid process. After a few layers of color, I would take sections and cover them up with saran wrap, newspaper, and tin foil. We used brushes, sponges, toothbrushes, mixing sticks, anything I could think of. I let Brody use his hands too, towards the end.
This one was mine, mid process. I always forget how much I love to paint.
Here is Brody's, putting on the finishing touches with his fingertips.
This was mine before I ripped off the layers.
And Brody's before taking off the layers.
Tada!! Brody's first masterpiece. I love it. So does he. He can not wait to do it again!!

And here are the two finished paintings. They are already hanging on the wall in my bedroom. I plan on doing this again in the fall, with two more different sized canvases to add on to our collection.
Edited to add: I am entering this in a toddler art contest over at Toddler Craft! Wish us luck!!! EDITED: HE WON!!!!!!!
And here are the two finished paintings. They are already hanging on the wall in my bedroom. I plan on doing this again in the fall, with two more different sized canvases to add on to our collection.
Edited to add: I am entering this in a toddler art contest over at Toddler Craft! Wish us luck!!! EDITED: HE WON!!!!!!!





92 comments:
How fantastic! I love what you guys created! Looks like a fun afternoon in the sun!
awesome job! :)
Hey there! Just found your blog thru Dianes and so glad I did. You have a great blog and I hope you dont mind if I follow along.
I have to know where do I get the canvases like this and what kind of paint you used. I would love to do this with my kids. They so love to paint, but it always finds its way to the trash or gets lost in a stack of papers. I would love for them to do something that we could put up so they could be proud of it and see it when they are older. Please let me know. You can get my email address from my profile.
Please feel free to stop in and visit us at Fort Thompson anytime, you are always welcome!
Love and Prayers,
Tim
Wow, that's awesome!
Stopped by from sits and I'm SO glad I did! I am totally going to try this with my 6 year old! She loves to paint and color. What a blast! Thanks!
I absolutely love that!! What a beautiful masterpiece you both made!! It looked like so much fun!! My favorite kind of art project!! We might have to try that-very cool idea!
By the way-if you didn't let me know on toddlercraft yet, let me know how old brody is so I can put him in the right age group for the contest!! Great entry!! I am so glad you decided to enter!
Fanatastic idea! WTG Brody!
Congrats on your SITS day!
That is so cool that he won! He looks so cute standing there painting and totally absorbed in the canvas. And what a fantastic message you send to him by hanging them on the wall of your bedroom. I'm sure he feels your love and appreciation for him.
I hope you get a million messages today and that you enjoy your day immensely!
We'll be trying this out too I think though I don't know that we'll have enough walls to hang them on!
Congratulations on the win! It was well deserved.
That is AWSOME! I really like this. This will be something the boys will love!
Thanks for sharing, and Yeah Brody for winning!!
Those are so great! I wish I was creative to come up with ideas like that. The paintings turned out wonderful!
I've often wondered that kids could do art better than some of the things I see. Brody proves it and what great news that he won.
Am surprised that he stayed so clean - must have been tempting that piece of chest
Wow, CONGRATS to your handsome and adorable little man for winning the art contest! It really is a beautiful piece of work!
How awesome that he's about to become an internet sensation due to his wonderful mom being the FB on SITS today! :-)
Hugs ~ Sandy
"We're all on this journey towards living a healthier lifestyle together"
http://momsfightingfat.com (Weight Loss support blog)
Wow! congrats on the win! And he looks so happy with all that paint!
AWESOME! I love kid's art. And congrats Brody on winning!
Here's my little one and her first masterpiece:
http://forwhatitsworth-ornot.blogspot.com/2009/06/while-dads-away.html
Beautiful. I think you may have an artist on your hands! ;-)
Love it! Great idea mom!
Looked like a great afternoon! Congrats on Brody's win. :::visiting from SITS:::
Of course he won. What a great painting. Enjoy your SITS day.
So awesome!!! They are both fantastic and that is a wicked cool idea!!!!
Congratulations Brody!
Congratulations!
Congrats to Brody! Well done!
These could sell for a fortune in an abstract art gallery!! I always said that child could do those abstract pictures !! ;-)
Congratulations on winning. And on making featured blog!
B x
AWW looks like so much fun! Congrats on winning!
How fun! I'm so glad he won...that's awesome! And I agree...sell that baby in an art gallery. That's just as good as any of those other abstract art pieces I've seen! :)
Congrats to Brody on the win! Those are both neat paintings. :) Happy SITS Day!
What an awesome art project, sooo glad he won...Congrats Brody!
Jamie :)
Those paintings are awesome. Congrats to Brody for winning! How great is that? Way to go.
He really did a great job! Congrats on his win:0)
Happy SITSday!
Over from SITS ...
Congrats Brody!!! Yay! Those really look great!
What a great job! And congratulations to Brody for winning....how exciting!
There's nothing more a kid loves to do than paint. Happy SITS Day!
Hey, that's pretty cool. Good job Brody! Did he win something awesome?
I love painting too. It is so freeing.
Super cool! Looks really neat! Happy SITS day!
Yay Brody! You got a little Picasso on your hands. He is way more talented than the little girl in the documentary "My Kid Could Paint That" and people were/are(?) paying thousands for her works of art.
I love how you relate to your son. I can feel how close you two are.
HAPPY SITS DAY!
That is just wonderful… I love doing paint projects with my nephews it nice to see them also how their paintings evolve with time.
Congrats to Brody!
Saying hi from a new member of SITS..
Lilliy.. Travel blogger..
http://travelsightswithlilliy.com
It turned out so good! love it, way to go Brody!!!
Happy SITS day! It's never too early to get them started on art, I gave both of my girls their first canvases and acryclics at 18 months!! : ) I love the saran wrap and tin foil technique - we'll be adding this to our next painting session : )
He did such a great job! Congrats to Brody on winning!
wow - love that technique! And huge congrats to Brody for the win! :)
Cute! Happy SITS!
Go Brody! I might have to put my little man to work.
Congrats to you and Brody! :) My son won the 1-4 age group! He had a lot of fun painting too! :)
It's no wonder that he won! Beautiful!
What an Artist!! Good job Brody!
They're great. I love the colours.
Congratulations to him on his big win!
congrats to brody! my son just started using crayons...i can't wait until i can give him a paint brush!!
Excellent! Always foster the creativity and allow the awe of life to be ignited in our future leaders! Get him some art classes to see if that is truly a passion for him!
This was such a great idea!
Thats awesome! Yay for Brody! What a talented little guy!
Oh yeah....
Very Cool!
and congratulations to Brody!
Looking forward to seeing the new set in the fall.
Wow those are great! Looks like something my oldest would like to do. Happy SITS day!
CONGRATULATIONS, BRODY! He is absolutely adorable! You have a fine little man there.
Happy SITS day!
Blessings,
Teresa <><
Congrats!!!! It's so much fun spending quality time like that with them isn't it.
After working with so many toddlers and school-age children, covering up what you dont want them to paint over is so smart! They do just keep painting and painting until they end up with an unrecognizable painting of wetness! Cute post! :)
(visiting from SITS)
Sure beats watching TV!
Great job.
Happy SITS day!
How fun! I can't wait until my son is older to do things like this with him. Looks like fun!
As an art teacher(and mom of boys who grew up painting/playing) I can tell you that children who are given the opportunity to create at a young age (and are not just plopped in front of a screen for entertainment) become much more creative in all aspects of life as they grow older, whether or not they become artists as professionals. Bravo to you & Brody!
Visiting from SITS.
That's such a great project, and congratulations to winning!
Very cool! What a great project and the end result is really nice. Definitely worthy of hanging on the walls. Congratulations to Brody for winning his contest:-)
Super! Painting with kids is the best! I do this with my kids, and they just love it! My favorite thing to do, is pop a blank canvas on the table and pop the paint right on it. The kids start pulling the paint towards the area they want to work on. After a while I walk by and say "brushes up..." they lift their brushes and I turn the canvas on them. (sometimes I just turn it with no warning!) We keep this up until the canvas is full!
Congratulations! x
Wow looks like a blast! I should go get some paint...
Oh my gosh! I wish I would have done something like thing when my kids were younger. What a priceless treasure!
awesome!!! happy sits day.
Happy SITS Day! Great picture. Congratulations on the win!
Both pieces came out fantastic. Our home is decorated with 90% art that we made ourselves. It gives the place a personal touch..
Congrats on the win!!! Very cool art idea. I'm am super crafty but sadly my son isn't :o( Maybe if I gave him a free go at it, he'd get into it!
Congrats to Brody!!! Those are AWESOME!!! Please tell me they are hanging up somewhere...
Great idea and now you have something on your wall that really means something to you.
What a little Picasso!
Such a cool project! Congrats to your son!
Beautiful! And congrats on the WIN!
Awesome job!
How much you selling them for?
I love these! And I used to be an art teacher, so you can trust my expert opinion. ;-) Gorgeous, and what a great idea!
Wow, the colors really pop! I can't wait to do this with my boys....it looks like tempura paint.
Looks like you had loads of fun! Well done Brody! Great ar work. :)
Those came out great! What a fun project!
how talented! I like how there seems to be a common tread between his and your painting, but they are still different!
Congratulations! That is awesome! They really are awesome paintings....I might have to try that with my oldest.:)
What a great idea! I love those paintings and am not surprised in the least that he won. It is so amazing and so beautiful! Can't wait to see the Fall one (that is my favorite season).
This is so cool! I love that you did it on an actual canvas and you have it hanging in your room! And what a great gift idea for the grandparents!
Congrats to Brody- what an awesome project. So glad I stopped by from SITs I love you blog
Happy SITS!
So creative! Some people enjoy helping their kids with art projects. Unfortunately, I was not one of those parents. My DD26 was always far more creative on her own without my help!
That's awesome! I saw something like this on Jon & Kate Plus 8 and thought it was a brilliant idea!
That looks so wonderful! It is very abstracty too. I love to paint and wish I did more often :) Thanks for sharing!
What a great idea!! I love it!
Love it!
I can't wait to be able to do this kind of thing with my son. Recently, I let him paint over some old canvases of mine, but I used that kid-friendly, non-toxic paint, which is glorified food coloring. He loved it.
Although, you can barely see his colors on top of the old acrylics. Oh well :)
Wow, those look great! What a good idea! It look like he was enjoying himself too! And how cool that he won!! Congrats!!
Very nice! It's amazing how the simple things - like an art project with Mom - can make them, happy, huh? One day my three-year-old son and I had a "porch picnic" for lunch and you would have thought I'd taken him to Disney World for a week.
Post a Comment