Thursday, May 28, 2009

Feeling Refreshed

I haven't been posting much the last few weeks. I haven't really been very "happy" and it's kind of hard to explain why. Nothing major has happened or gone wrong, but I still feel kind of blah. It's weird because in so many ways I am thriving and happy, but it seems like all I can focus on is the things that aren't perfect, the things that I want.

At first I thought maybe the problem was my relationship with Adam. Although that is not perfect, it really isn't the deep issue. If we are meant to be, we will. And I'm content with that. I know he loves me and I do him, and it's not like I want to get married tomorrow. Yes, eventually I want to have at least one more child, but really, I don't see it happening for myself for a few more years, with Adam or not. I am enjoying my time with Brody right now.

I think my problem is I just want to reach the top, at everything. So right now, all I see is what I need. I need a new car, I need some new clothes, I need to paint my basement, I need new appliances. I am not focusing on what I have.

SO last night, instead of making one of my daily TO DO lists, I made an I HAVE list instead.

And I feel great today.

Tomorrow, I am going to do anther Happy Thoughts post. Because they are my favorite, and I have a lot to be thankful for.

105 comments:

Unknown said...

so nice to see you again in cyberspace!

Jen said...

I get like this too (nothing really wrong but nothing really right either) and it is so difficult to get out of that funk sometimes. What a great idea to make an I have list!

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

I think we all have time like this. I'm glad to see you back. :-)

Anonymous said...

I just found your site randomly (clicked through from another site I found randomly) and read this post. I am kind of in the same mood lately, too - can't really figure out why I'm focusing on the negatives instead of the positives. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this.

BBB said...

Yeah! You're back.

Good for you for looking at the positives!!! That's awesome. I need to do that more.

Liz Harrell said...

Hollie, I think most of us, if we're really honest, are struggling with exactly the same problem. I also see the 'I need' list instead of the 'i have' list.

Rita Barakat said...

I think counting your blessings list is agreat idea!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

stopping by from SITS and enjoy reading your blog!

The Redhead Riter said...

That is definitely more upbeat! Way to go!

The Redhead Riter said...

That is definitely more upbeat! Way to go!

Lisa Petrarca said...

It's always easy to look at what we don't have and NEED. I think your on the right track, focus on the positive and reach out to help others.

Don't forget to stop by my SMASH FACE BLOG! HAPPY SITS DAY!

Cynthia said...

Good for you. I know I always feel better when I make a "gratitude" list - also when I dance around the kitchen.

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

It's good to stand back and count our blessings, rather than hanker over the things we think we need.

Tania

Anonymous said...

This sounds just like I think most of us feel every day. I think I will make my own I have list. What a great idea!

CoffeewithZooly said...

I know how you've been feeling - too much is written about what we want or wish for. Great that you've found what you have - it always the best !

mub said...

I love the idea of an I HAVE list!

Sandra Winn said...

Hi Hollie, I'm visiting you from SITS. :-)

You know, I think any woman feeling like you've been lately would benefit from making an "I have" list--what a wonderful idea!

I've been where you're at before and still get that way from time to time--I'll have to remember to list my haves the next time I find myself down about it. :-)

~ Sandy

"We're all on this journey towards healthy living together"

http://momsfightingfat.com

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Love the idea of an I Have list... great thinking!

BJ_Mama said...

I think we all have those days...so proud of you that you have changed your perspective. SOmetimes it's as easy as that! Your son is adorable!

mommakin said...

An 'I have' list - that is brilliant. I'm gonna start one NOW!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

Keep thinking this way. It is a great outlook :)

Unknown said...

That's a good idea--an I have list. Very nice. Happy SITS day!

FranticMommy said...

Now THAT is a fab idea. a "I HAVE" list instead of "TO DO". I need to go do that right now!

Anonymous said...

We all go through the blahs. It happens to everyone. Sometimes what helps me is to take a look at my "not doing" list. That list may help you out even more than a to-do list.

Anonymous said...

what a great idea, thank you for sharing! Happy SITS day :-)

Anonymous said...

what a great idea, thank you for sharing! Happy SITS day :-)

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

Blah days - I know the feeling. Glad you felt better after writing out your have list. Visiting from SITS.

La Belle Mere said...

Wow what a lovely idea. I always write down 3 positive things about my day or or my life, at the end of each day. It reminds me to stop and notice the good stuff. Might have to sit down and right myself an I HAVE list now!

Happy SITS day.

Anonymous said...

Well written and thoughtful post that everyone can relate to!

Congrats on your SITS feature day!

Cher said...

good thinking. If we all just sat back and realized all the good things in our life..there would be a lot less misery, complaining, etc. We all have so many blessings!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That's an excellent cure for the blahs. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great attitude! Love the post.

Jamie :)

Pam said...

Happy SITS day! It's so easy to focus on all the things that are lacking in our life. It's much harder to focus on all that is right. Making an I HAVE list is a great way to remind yourself of this. On my blog I do a Thankful Thursday post each week where I force myself to think of all the little or big things that went well during the previous week. It really is an attitude changer. Good for you!

Sandy said...

That's a great idea! Sometimes I think we all need to be reminded of what is most important in our lives:0)

glenna said...

thoughtful post! :-)

Rita Templeton said...

What a fantastic idea! I really needed to read this today ... it's been a doozy already. Maybe my own "I have" list will help to turn it around. :) Thanks!

Beth in NC said...

Hey Sitsta! Great post and a great reminder to focus on the blessings we have!

Chanda said...

I think I may have to take that idea! I am stuck in the same way, and need to get out of that funk!

Laura said...

I think we all focus on the wants sometimes; like I want to be finished with school tomorrow not two years from now.

My daughter's name is Hollie. You're the only other person I have seen spell her name with an "ie" instead of a "y".

Anonymous said...

Very honest post!

Christina Ketchum said...

I needed this pep talk!

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Being grateful and feeling gratefulness is one of the keys to happiness. I've just learned how to do this and it has really made a difference in my life. It's really easy to get sucked into the "I must have" attitude that permeates our society. Things might make you happy but only temporarily. It's the real stuff that makes you happy.

Congrats on being the FB!

Unknown said...

Simply beautiful sentiments...HAPPY SITS day!

Life of a Stepmama said...

What a great way to stay positive, I think it is so easy to focus on the have nots!!! Love your idea, focus on what you have!! Great blog!

mamammelloves said...

I think we could all use an "I Have" list to remind ourselves what we're thankful for. It's a great way to stay positive! :)

Ungirdled Passion said...

What a great idea! An "I have" list! What's the saying? The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything they have. Happy SITS

Creative Junkie said...

I have never made an I HAVE list ... and I think it's a fantastic idea. I need a good dose of reality every now and then.

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

What a truly inspiring post! I am going through a very difficult time right now due to a very rare and debilitating illness. I am basically homebound and have been for almost 2 years. It is SO very hard for my family and me. Sometimes I tend to lose track of the awesome blessings in my life and, instead, I focus on all the bad stuff. Thanks for helping me to remember that I need to get my head in the game and be thankful for all that God has given me. There are so many people out there who have things going on in their lives right now that are much worse than what I'm dealing with. It's all relative, guess.

Well, stay strong and keep up the good work!

Blessings,
Teresa <><

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/

mommy4life said...

Isn't it amazing how a little attitude adjustment goes a long way?!

Travel With Lilliy said...

I love that “ I have list” we are always so focused and so programmed on what we have to do all the time and be down when ever you look at that list and don’t see it crossed out.

Great idea and trying to remember to be thankful for our lives and what we have accomplished is important.

I am going to do my list today. Thank you for the inspiration.

Saying hi from a new member of SITS…

Lilliy… Travel blogger…

http://travelsightswithlilliy.com

Ashley said...

Good idea! We should all try this more often.

Katie said...

Making a list of your blessings is always a great idea!

<3 Katie
The Skinny On Getting Skinny

Unknown said...

Life! I'll tell ya! Hope your having a wonderful Day! I have a lil Brody tooooo!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! It's so easy to fall into the "I need this for me to be ____" trap. Thanks for giving some perspective!

Happy SITS day! :)

Anonymous said...

It can be so easy to focus on what needs to be done... instead of what we have. Thanks for the reminder!

tinahead81 said...

great post! i think we all feel like that sometimes. great idea to list the wonderful things we already have!

African American Mom said...

Very refreshing! Happy SITS Day!

Michelle said...

I think that's always a good thing to do.

Guide To Life For Women Author - TR Hughes said...

Positivity is always a catalyst for great things!

Lisa@saltandlightstudio said...

You're an inspiration Hollie! Now may I ask why you did not give me this same advice during my recent "Dark Times"?

Remind me of this next time I'm funky, k?

BlogBaby's BabyMama

Anonymous said...

Great, thought provoking post! Thanks for it this morning! :)

*From a new Sits member...

Live.Love.Eat said...

Happy SITS Day. Noone can argue that focusing on what you DO have keeps it all positive. It's doing it that's the hard part!

Hannah said...

This post comes at perfect time for me, I have been pretty blah myself lately.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective. I am going to go start my I HAVE list right now!

Oh, happy SITS day!

Anonymous said...

I think I've been going through this a little bit lately. Part of my "funk" (as I like to call it) has to do with my husband working out of town. So there are days when I feel miserable about everything. But yesterday that was all made up for when my son gave me a hug and said "I love you." Then I realized how thankful I was!

Angeline Schnare said...

How zen of you!
My only concern is that you might actually have a bit of depression. Check with a doctor, please, if this sort of blah feeling continues.
Happy SITS day!

Elizabeth Patch said...

An "I have" list is a wonderful variation on the "Count your blessings" that mom always used to say. AND the benefit of "I have: instead of "to do" is that is makes you happy instead of stressed!

Sabrina Kay said...

Fellow single mom of boys here. LOVE IT!!!

Bitter Sweet Moments said...

What a great idea:) Stopping by from SITS enjoy your FB day!!

Anonymous said...

I like this. Great reminder to think about how lucky we are in the lives that we have.

Happy SITS day to you!

Anonymous said...

I think we all go through the Blah days once in awhile. I know I've had my own a time or two, but somehow I manage to look to the positive like you are doing and I manage to get myself out of it.

Happy SITS day!

Helen McGinn said...

I love your thinking; I think we all do this from time to time and it consumes us so well done for turning it on it's head! Happy SITS day, lass.
x

Jewls said...

It's so true! If you focus on the good it makes the bad seem much smaller! Happy SITS day! :)

Traci said...

What a great way to get out of a funk. I'm going to try the Have List. Happy SITS day.

Marrdy said...

What a great post. There really are sometimes in life when we get feeling like things are off and we're not sure why. We are normally so blessed and it's nice to take a minute to see all the good things in our lives.

Robbie S. Redmon, LPC said...

Happy SITS Day! I enjoyed this post.

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Happy SITS Day! I find that listing all the things I'm grateful for puts me in a better mood too. Every night before we go to bed the Mr.Dork and I say one thing we're grateful for and one thing we appreciate that the other one did that day.

Carma Sez said...

I like your outlook - and Brody is a cutie :-)

Lani said...

Focus on what you have, instead of what you need! Genius- and just what I needed to hear right now. Happy Sits day!

Kekibird said...

Here from SITS and I have to say...this was like reading my own writing. I'm in the same place. With a great man where there is nothing wrong but I'm just not "feelin'" it right now. And it's possibly because of other, bigger issues. I really would like to be settled down and married with another child on the way (I'm a single mommy to 1 little boy) but I know that can't/won't happen right now and that I just need to let it happen as it should.

So weird to read this and feel like someone else "gets it"! Big hugs I understand completely. Going to go off and write a post with a list of things I have!

Happy FB on SITS Day!

Anonymous said...

I totally know this feeling. It's frustrating. I will definitely try the I HAVE list idea. I'm a big lister :)

Crystal said...

Happy SITS day! This feeling is common in my life - thanks for putting it in perspective!

Gretchen said...

Sounds like you are going in the right direction. Too much concentration on reaching the top and you will end up frustrated because the "top" will never be reached: every new goal attained will only reveal a new, loftier goal. While this makes some people continue to succeed and drives some people's desires for achievement, it can also drain some people of their energy and also leave a sense of "will I ever be completely fulfilled?"

It's great to have a balance: keep working to achieve but also savor the successes along the way!

Kelly said...

What a great idea!I need to make an I HAVE list too... I hope you're having a great SITS day!

Ali said...

Good for you! Just goes to show you that you and only you are in charge of the way you think! :)

Pollyanna said...

As you were listing all your needs, I was mentally going through my list too.

Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for what I have :)

C. Beth said...

GREAT way to look at it...and a great reminder.

shortmama said...

We all need reminders sometimes to be grateful

Sarah said...

That's a great idea, I'll have to try it out next time I make a to-do. Inbetween trying to remember what I'm stupposed to do tommorrow, I'll write down my blessings!

Jennifer said...

Great post! I think we all sometimes don't appreciate the wonderful things we have in our lives as we are pushed to want bigger and better. Sometimes the things we already have are the things just perfect for us!

Dropping by from the UK via SITS x

Eve said...

What a great idea!
:)

Anonymous said...

Oh! I like this post. It's very nice how you have focused on the nice instead of the nasty. Kudos to you!

If you get the chance, please be sure and stop by and leave a comment& follow. I have a photo caption contest going on right now!

-Laila
www.randomweavings.blogspot.com

Elaine said...

Great outlook!

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

Thanks for being so real! I'm glad that you're looking at the positive side....keep looking up!:)

Amy said...

Isn't it amazing what a positive outlook can do? I am so glad you found the magic of counting your blessings. I hope things look up for you soon. Good luck with it all.

Just Lisa said...

What a great list to focus on-- everything you have!

Happy SITS day!

Unknown said...

I could have written this post (or very similar). Going to go count my blessings now, thanks for the reminder.

Frugal New England Kitchen said...

Visiting from SITS for the first time!

What an inspiration & I enjoyed your idea of a Happy Thoughts Post!

I get reflective many times myself.

Brigetta Schwaiger said...

Coming by from SITS. I love the idea of making a list about what you have. I do the same thing sometimes of focusing on everything I want and don't necessarily need.

But, that cute little guy is one great person to have.

Anonymous said...

It is so easy to get caught up in living in the future, but taking a step back and realizing that the present is worth living in is an amazing thing.

Rhiannon Bosse said...

I need to make a list too. this is a great idea because I have been feeling the same! Thank you for sharing :)

Controlling My Chaos said...

What a great idea for pulling yourself out of a slump. I'm going to try that the next time it happens to me. Happy SITS Day!

Stefanie Zucker said...

Wow...what amazing advice...think maybe I need to take some of that myself. I get so frustrated sometimes with all the things I'm working towards and haven't achieved yet that I forget to be thankful for the things I still have. thanks for the reminder...

Michelle said...

Awesome HAVE list! I am a former single mom who got married May 2008. Your time will come, don't worry!

Rae Ann said...

Happy SITS day!

It is easy to get into a funk over what you want but don't have. Good for you that you figured a way out of it!

piecemeal people said...

An "I have" list is a great idea for pulling yourself out of a mood - I'll have to remember that one!

Stopping by from SITS, very late!