Thursday, June 18, 2009

I found the secret. Wait......What??

I hate the way my mind works sometimes.

I was reading a great book last night, (Nineteen Minutes) and in it was a saying -

There are two ways to achieve happiness. Either change your reality, or lower your standards.

While reading this, I thought to myself, wow, that really is true, and kept reading away. But my mind kept wandering back to this, and I reread it again and again.

While it may be true, I find so many things wrong with this statement. First of all, if it was so easy to just change your reality, wouldn't everyone be happy? It makes me think of the movie The Pursuit of Happiness, and how he tries so hard, and gets suckerpunched everytime.

And second....if you lower your standards, aren't you giving up, settling for less, saying you aren't worth what you thought you were? How is that going to make you happy??

For me, I know what I want, and I will not settle for less. I am a what if type of person. But then I started thinking about other people I know, and realized that some people are like this.
For example, there is another single mom at the daycare that Brody goes too. We are COMPLETE OPPOSITES. She has a two and a half year old little girl, with one guy, and a 5 month old baby boy, with another. She was with the baby's father for maybe 4 months before realizing she was pregnant, and they were broken up before he was born. She has pretty much said to me that she was trying to get pregnant of purpose, because his family has money and she knew they'd always be supportive. She even had the balls to tell me that I should purposely get pregnant with Adam, because his family has money. Yeah. NO.

She is now in a 3 month relationship with some guy, and she just announced on facebook they are going to move in together. ?!?!? I think she is setting herself up for disaster and setting her kids up for dissapointment.

But it goes to show me that what she considers happiness is different than what I think. She is after the whole "husband". I don't so much need the husband part, as I need to "companionship, love, connection" part.

Not that I am unhappy, really. I am pretty good right now. But am I wrong, is it possible to lower your standards and still be happy? And not feel as if you are giving up, settling for less? Because I just don't know that I could do that, and be happy. This topic is consuming my brain right now. What are your thoughts??

In other, less thought provoking news -

I need to go to the mall. Bath and Body Works Wallflowers are on sale for $4. Time to stock up. I also have a $10 coupon I need to use at American Eagle.

I also want to stop at Barnes and Noble. Brody is fascinated right now about the earth, the sun and the moon. We watched the sun go down last night, and it was so amazing to watch him, he understood. He told me that now we are dark, but the people who live on the other side of those trees get the sun. So I am hoping to find some cool books that can really explain it to him better than I can. Maybe he'll be an astronaut someday! :)

and I'll leave you with a funny story. At least I think it's funny. Adam came over on Tuesday night, after golf league, like he usually does. It was late so I was already in bed, and I figured he was in the clubhouse. He showed up, a little too drunk for my liking and it didn't take him too long to fall asleep. About an hour later I woke up to a loud CRASH. HE FELL OUT OF BED.
At first I was worried about him, so I rolled him over and made sure he was okay.

He was still passed out, and so I tried to wake him up and get him up, but he YELLED at me to leave him alone. So I did. He slept on the floor. I also did not wake him up for work, which made him a good hour and a half late, and when I told him about him yelling at me, I really rubbed it in and made him feel bad. He still thinks I am, actually. I've been getting I'm so sorry texts all day yesterday and last night. Haha. He should know better by now.

98 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my god that is hilarious! Especially because you were trying to help him. Milk the "I'm Sorry" texts while you can!

As for as the whole life thing, I'm not sure I agree with lowering your standards. How can you be happy knowing that you've basically given up?

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

I'm with Pooba... lowering your standards is kinda like giving up. Obviously thats not what you were wanting in the first place... so it's not what will truly make you happy.

LOL... I'd have left him on the floor too. Keep milking it... I would.

MIITB said...

I don't know if lowering your standards is the best way to phrase. Maybe being happy with what you have is a better way to say it?
Visiting from SITS

Jennifer said...

NO! Don't lower your standards! I think working hard for the best is what's important.. It sounds like you're on the right track.. Also, one quote I like to think of (I may have made this up myself) is "What's going to matter 100 years from now?" I'm not sure if you're religious but I don't believe material possessions are going with me... But family is :)

I'm amazed seeing women like you working so hard and doing so much, GOOD for you girl! You are so inspiring! I love your blog!!!! So glad i found you through SITS!

Kelly said...

I am still trying to figure out what makes me happy, but I am certain that low standards is NOT an option for me.

Visiting from SITS!

John Deere Mom said...

Adam falling out of bed just made me lol at Panera. With Diet Pepsi in my mouth. :)

Rita Barakat said...

Changing your "perspective" might be a better motto than your change your "reality" - lowering your standards is not a good idea for you or your son.

The Redhead Riter said...

Stopping by from SITS...

Never lower your standards. Stand steadfast!!!!

♥Happy Friday♥

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Food for thought there.

{leah} said...

I can't believe he fell out of bed! that is really funny!

I think it depends on what it is tha tyou are lowering? Try as I might my house will never be clean the way that I want it to be. I ahve 3 young boys that follow behind me with distruction as I am cleaning. For that I have lowered my standards. I'm going to do one major thing everday {ie. clean bathrooms or mop} instead of trying to do it all.

But things that are Major life things, my standard will NOT be lowered. Things that I knowI can achieve I will,it may just take some time.

So I think it's all how you look at it. You don't want to be a bump on a log, but you don't want to set yourself up for failur either.

{oh,happy SITS day :)}

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should lower your standards. My husband asked me one time why I always get my way. I said because when I see that my original plan won't work, I revise the plan. I don't lower my standards. I don't change my reality. I just change my plan. The smallest decisions will change your course. In my opinion, the way to stay happy is to remain flexible and positive.

CoffeewithZooly said...

So good! Enjoy your SITS day

mub said...

Visiting from SITS!

I don't really know that you need to lower your standards, but I think that it's important to have REALISTIC standards and expectations, otherwise you will always be unhappy striving for something that cannot be attained.

Sandra Winn said...

I get the gist of the comment but agree with Isabel that perhaps "lower your standards" was not the best phrase to use.

I'm not a Buddhist, or religious at all for that matter. However, I do agree that sometimes we can set our standards too high and end up being miserable--instead of focusing on and appreciating what we already have.

Sometimes our wants and desires are the source of unhappiness. It's okay to shoot high, but at the same time we need to find peace with where we're at "in the now."

Have a great SITS day ~ Sandy

"We're all on this journey towards living a healthier lifestyle together"

http://momsfightingfat.com (Weight Loss Support Blog)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Lowering your standards is never a good idea when it comes to achieving happiness. Hope it doesn't come done to that!!

BJ_Mama said...

Never EVER lower your standards! Unles they are unreasonabley HIGH....then maybe you just need to be realistic. But from what I've read so far....yours aren't. Hold out for what you deserve, girl!

JennyMac said...

This is great...and NEVER lower your standards. If you do it once, it will become to easy to do it again. Expect greatness.

Unknown said...

I really, really hope that y'all can work out whatever is going on in your relationship. This seems to be a big focus and if you're that unhappy maybe you need to just let him go. Just my personal thoughts of course...you have to do what's best for you.

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

I agree lowering your standards is not a good option. Keep 'em high that's what I think is best!

FranticMommy said...

I too am trying to fine tune what makes me happy. so is the opposite of high hopes, low hopes? What good are low hopes?

Anonymous said...

Lowering your standards is changing your reality. I always told my daughter, you can't change what other people do but you can change what you do. You're the one in control of that. Happy SITS day.

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

Enjoyed my visit on your SITS Day. Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wow, another thoughtful post. Good stuff!

Congrats on your SITS day!

La Belle Mere said...

I like to think of it as changing my expectations rather than lowering my standards. You can also lower your exptectations of others to.

Great blog.

B x

Cher said...

Happy SITS day!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Visiting from SITS. I would have left him on the floor too.

glenna said...

when it comes to moral values, never lower your standards
Happy Sits Day!!

Pam said...

Great story. As for lowering your standards, I don't think it's a good idea. You seem to have a very good head on your shoulders. Just keep on keepin' on. You are well on your way to building the life you want for yourself and your son. Keep it up!

Sandy said...

I think lowering your standards is the same thing as giving up and that is not an option for me!

Beth in NC said...

Coming over from SITS. Do what is right and don't lower your standards. You'll never regret that decision.

Laura said...

Well I don't think it is ever a good idea to get pregnant to "trap" a guy & his money. I'm a single mom of 2 (after 15 years of marriage)& times get tough, but we are survivors & I'm actually enjoying my time without a man right now.

Yarni Gras! said...

I struggled with that when I was in my late 20's....
A friend gave me a book entitled
"Men Are Just Desserts" by Sonya Friedman. You can find it on Amazon.
It is an old book but the info in it truly changed my life.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I agree with that statement either. I would put it like this- "Change the way you view reality and be grateful for what you have".

Have you heard of the book "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life"? Dr. Dyer's view is that sometimes we can't change our realities but we can always change the way we look at things. And I discussed the gratefulness part in my last comment.

I was a single mother too and that girl sounds messed up. I made a vow that I would not let anyone I was dating meet my son until six months after we started dating. That might seem extreme but I felt by six months I would know how secure the relationship was. I watched my sister introduce guy after guy to her son only for him to disappear weeks later. It's not fair on them.

Unknown said...

I'm with you...always resist going for the low-lying fruit. they are full of worms. HAPPY SITS day!

Life of a Stepmama said...

Never lower your standards! I do not agree with that statement either, if you change yourself to be happy then are you REALLY happy?? Interesting....love your little boy he is precious!
I am a stepmama to a son whose mom wanted to get pregnant to keep my boyfriend. Sad what some woman will do. They were broken up before he was ever born and now that he is two I think she is finally starting to realize he will never be with her just because they had a kid. She is getting a sweet paycheck every month though so she got that at least! Love your spirit and hardwork!

Creative Junkie said...

Simply put, I do not believe in lowering your standards.

I do believe in changing your reality though. It's not easy to do, but it's better than settling.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I settled for a relationship that was less than it should be for almost 9 years. Then I met the hubs. We were engaged in less than a year and married in less than two. I'm so glad I decided to stop settling!

mamammelloves said...

I was thinking the same thing as "La Belle Mere"... I usually set my expectations of other people too high... so I'm trying to learn to expect less of other people, so I don't end up disappointed later on.

Travel With Lilliy said...

I think what I like to say is people priorities are different and there is no one standard in what is important to different people. I think for her is to be married with money. Do I think that is wrong? I don’t know. What I do know is that it is wrong for me. I don’t want it that way for me but it might be right for her. People have different backgrounds had different lives some may not have been pleasant caused changing them into looking for what they think is security.

I am a romantic and being with some one means I have to love him. But if you look at people as they grow older what makes them remarry after they have lost a spouse they were married for over 50 years… They want companionship mostly.

I don’t like saying lowering standers but sometimes we have to look at what are our goals and how are we going to get to them. This ever so true there are NO perfect guys out there. But there are compatible ones.

Now cheating and lying in every one standard that is wrong. Trying to get pregnant to get married without telling the guy is an old trick but a really bad one.

Saying hi from a new member of SITS…

Lilliy… Travel blogger…

http://travelsightswithlilliy.com

mommy4life said...

I think standards depend on what you are talking about. In relationships, they are very important, but in my housework, hmm, settling doesn't always seem like a bad thing! LOL.

Ashley said...

Good post!

Happy SITS day!

Katie said...

Happy SITS Day! Love the story of him falling on the floor :) I so would've done the same thing, dont even think I would've thrown him a pillow! lol


<3 Katie
The Skinny On Getting Skinny

tinahead81 said...

i try to be realistic, but that doesn't mean i have to lower my standards.

happy SITS day btw!

Sandy said...

That's a funny story. Bet he's thrilled we all know it now. LOL

Sandy said...

That's a funny story. Bet he's thrilled we all know about it now. LOL

Guide To Life For Women Author - TR Hughes said...

Do not lower your standards - hold out for what is right for you. You're a funny storyteller!

Michelle said...

Okay I dont know you...but are you SURE you arent settling with him? You seem very smart and put together and you have your HEAD on! Not to mention really pretty. Is that what you really want??

I know I'm just a blog stranger...but still.

I did not want to settle...I had settled all of my life and I got what I hoped for...drunken men falling of my bed, not literally you know. LOL.

When I got saved I wasnt going to settle anymore. I found the most amazing man. Glad I didnt settle. He is perfect for me in EVERY WAY.

African American Mom said...

Suck all the sympathy you can! It is always fun to do so!

Robin said...

Hmmmm....
I'm new here; in from SITS. I don't quite understand your situation with Adam.....I don't know the history. I do know that one should never settle. If you do, you will spend the rest of your life looking back, thinking what if. Continue on your path in search for happiness. And try to be more positive in your search....think positive thoughts. Positive attracts positive.

Jen Feeny said...

Congrats on your FB day!!! Great post, those are very thought invoking options that everyone should consider! Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

i've been struggling with the question when it comes to weight loss. do i settle for good enough? or keep pushing to my goal? i chose to keep pushing myself.

happy sits day!

B.o.B. said...

Don't lower your standards. Ever. Be happy with what you have and keep reaching for those goals.

Also he should be apologizing for a long time for that one!

Happy SITS Day.

Lisa@saltandlightstudio said...

Hmmm...this one is thought provoking...

I think having high standards for YOUR decisions and actions is good just remember that you are not and will never be perfect so trying to attain THAT high of standard will result in nothing but frustration.

I think personal growth is what matters, maybe you aren't where you want to be yet but even if you are shimmying slowly in the right direction, take heart that you are getting there. Even if it's at a turtles pace!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the statement and I totally agree about leaving the boyfriend on the floor too! LOL!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

That statement could hold true for some women looking to lose weight to be happy. Either change the eating and exercise habits to lose those 20 lbs or instead of losing 20 be realistic and lose 10 or just be happy with how you are. It's like the old saying "shit or get off the pot" almost.

Ah, what do I know.

Stacey said...

I think it depends on how high your standards are, and if you expect the same standards from everyone else. If you do, then you will be very disappointed!

As for leaving him on the floor...he deserved it for yelling at you! Ha!

Visiting from SITS.

Angeline Schnare said...

Looks like you are doing some serious soul searching here.
Searching for happiness?
There's lots of different ways to look at happiness but trying to feel happy might be a tough task.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about chaning your reality, but I think that if you can accept your reality it makes it easier to be happy. I think about my mom and that statement. She just refuses to accept herself and her life and she is always miserable about how much other people have compared to her. And not just material things, but personal, emotional things as well.

Whenever my husband has one too many with the guys, I totally videotape him and show him the next day. Just so he knows that when he tells me he's not "drunk" I can say otherwise!

Scottish lass said...

Hmmm.
I see that you were trying to show someone with an opposing point of view on happiness but maybe focus on you instead of identifying and judging someone you know publicly.
I don't know either of you but I felt sad for the other mom who's choices you were calling out.
Just my two cents :0)

Elizabeth Patch said...

"lower your standards" could also be simply a funny way of allowing and accepting imperfections in your life without beating yourself up...but still keep the dream going!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...very interesting. Well...for me, I think that it's kind of a reality check. Is what I think will make me happy within reason? Am I reaching for the unattainable, which will dissapoint me? Or...should I be expecting more out of myself.

I have noticed that what makes me happy changes through the years, and I make adjustments to my expectations.

Yikes to the gal getting preggers for the buck-a-roos...big NO NO. Will that really make her happy in the end? I'd feel so guilty about my choices that I personally couldn't be happy that way. But as you said...what makes each of us happy is different.

Great post!

KarieK said...

Stopping in to celebrate your SITS day...love the post. I think we set standards because we want better for ourselves, be realistic of course, but do not ever settle, or settle for less.

As for the man falling out of bed....so deserved. Men who come home drunk as skunks and then expect us to put up with their crap...pfft! Serves him right for falling out on his duff and being late. We aren't their mothers!

Just know, don't settle even if you "seem" happy!

Happy SITS day!!

Karie

Helen McGinn said...

I truly believe happiness is in the moment and the small things, if that makes sense. I don't think about standards, more of 'this is right for me or wrong for me' or 'what is for me won't go by me'. And, of course we all have our own perceptions.
Loved the story!
Helen x

Jewls said...

I don't think you should lower your standards. I think that happiness is a choice, regardless of your circumstance. Some of the happiest people I know have the hardest lives...they don't let their circumstances make them happy, it's an ingrained decision and they choose to face life with a smile!

Tricia McWhorter said...

Realistically, I don't know if you can ever truly lower your standards. But I do think you can "reframe" how you look at things. It's like finding the positive aspects to less than ideal circumstances.

Traci said...

I think lowering your standards is so NOT the way to go. BUT- what I learned when I found myself as a single mom of two was that if you open up a little and let go of some preconceived notions you have about life and people and the kind of person who is right for you- that is when the "real" right things happen.

In a million years I would never had thought I'd be where I am, and if you had told me that I'd be deliriously happy I would have laughed, but here I am, and life is good, and for the first time since I was a teenager I feel like myself and have the support and time to do the things I enjoy.

Don't settle, just try new things.

Marrdy said...

I don't think ever lowing your standards is a good idea. I think aiming for the best and the highest thing you can achieve is important. If you are doing your best and trying your hardest you know you are doing everything you can to become a better person!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Hee hee! My husband is weird when he's really sleepy. If I try to wake him up he gets startled.

Robbie S. Redmon, LPC said...

Happy SITS Day. Great post!

BrnEyedGal said...

ITs hard to know what to do sometimes, but don't lower your standards...(you know as a mommy you would never tell your kids that right? :)

Happy SITS day!!!

Carma Sez said...

Fun post - and keep your standards up there where they already are!

Kekibird said...

Big Jodi Picoult fan here. Read that book. I agree, don't lower your standards and don't go with what other people say should make you happy. Just do what makes you happy. We are all so different with different needs.

Another SITSa visiting today!

Anonymous said...

The first quote maybe the best quote EVER! Love it!

Gretchen said...

Hmm, well, I think that quote is pretty good, actually. I think it's a decision about which standards you are willing to lower and which ones are so important that you are willing to be disappointed if you don't achieve happiness because of them.

For example: If you have standards about how the laundry is folded, but you are willing to lower your standards in order to get your child to fold the laundry for you, will it REALLY make you less happy? Or will it make you MORE happy to see your child being helpful?

And, like with your mate, some people have standards that are SO high that they forget about what standards they themselves could be judged on. I've become more forgiving of my husbands shortcomings because I know that I am far from perfect too. I bite my nails, I have 15 extra pounds to lose, and I tend to nag too much. My husband is far from perfect too, but is this lowering my standards? I don't consider that so.

Standards are important, but I'd say, Pick your battles. Which standards are the ones that are firm, and which ones can you be flexible about, being shaped by your own personal growth and also by the growth of those you love?

By the way, Happy SITS day!

Unknown said...

I think it's not really a question of setting standards high, but realizing what you do have that makes your life valuable. Did that make sense? I hope so!

Suzi said...

Yeah, don't cave for anything less than what you want or deserve!

Great drunk story. Milk Adam for everything he has, in regards to apologies that is.

Happy SITS Day!

Stereos and Souffles said...

That girl from the daycare represents a lot of what is wrong with our society. Yikes.

Pollyanna said...

1. Take the psycho mom off your freinds list in Facebook. Who has time for that kind of drama?

2. Too funny about Adam. Serves him right. I've never left my husband on the floor (mostly because he's never fallen out of bed), but I have left him down on the lumpy couch. :)

C. Beth said...

I think it depends--sometimes my high standards are not realistic. Like, expecting my husband to be perfect in one way or another, instead of accepting him as he is. And accepting that I can't change him. At times like that, lowering my standards is a very good idea. :)

shortmama said...

I definitely dont believe in lowering your standards, however I think that they should be realistic form the start

Janet said...

Stopping by from SITS...

My first thought when I read that quote was, "Yeah, that's exactly it!" And then, like many others who commented, I thought, "No, lowering standards won't get you anywhere!" Something interesting to ponder though.

I mean, I'm 37 and five feet tall. I'm not gonna make it as a basketball player, so if that were my "standard" I'd wind up sadly disappointed. (Not that I want to, but still)

Jennifer said...

Lowering your standards is not the answer but living within your means may be what was meant. It's fine to have dreams of wealth and success but not every dream comes true unfortunately. To be truely happy with a poorer, simpler life is not impossible. :)

Eve said...

Hmmm... lowering your standards. That's a difficult idea to address. It might have been better for the book to suggest re-prioritizing your standards or taking another look at your standards to see if your reasons for them are still in effect.

I guess I could say that in some areas of my life, my standards have lowered over time... but only in areas where my priorities have changed, or where I realized that I was striving for something that wouldn't really make me happy. In other areas of my life, my standards have increased - I expect more in those areas than I used to. It would be more accurate to say that my standards have changed and adapted - not actually lowered.

Aside from that particular issue, was the rest of the book helpful at all?

Anonymous said...

Oo! Love love this post. ahahaha.

Stop by and leave a note!

-Laila
www.randomweavings.blogspot.com

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

I think by changing your reality, you could find the things that you want to do and maybe ask yourself how you can achieve those things....it may take time, and they may not come easy, but maybe it means just making things happen....am I making sense? Maybe I'm looking into all wrong; I don't know.....I don't think you should ever lower your standards....standards often go right along with values, and if you lower your standards, then that's the example you're also setting for your kids. Just my little say in the whole scheme of life.:)

Amy said...

What a profound thought! I think that changing your reality can bring happiness, meaning changing the way you look at things, and changing the way you pursue happiness. I have known people who didn't know where their next meal was coming from who were completely happy! On the other hand, I agree with you about not lowering your standards. Even if you could pretend to be happy, you would know you had given up, and how could you respect yourself with a knowledge like that?

Just Lisa said...

I'll have to read 19 Minutes... I really liked My Sister's Keeper, and now I'm reading Picture Perfect.

Unknown said...

I don't think I will ever be content, I think if you stop wanting then that is what dead is.
I have a post you might like, with a link to something that you might enjoy. I know it really helped me stop beating myself up for always wanting more.

http://www.myloonyverse.com/2008/09/god-likes-me-better.html

Frugal New England Kitchen said...

Visiting from SITS

From a different perspective & age - When young, we have high standards we try to achieve, and achieve and achieve...it's when you're older that you realize if you're going to be happy, at that point you have to lower them. Sometimes you get there, sometimes you don't. Sometimes through no fault of your own. You can't continue to be disappointed all the time, it's unhealthy.

Best to you.

My heart said...

Fantastic Post!!

Have a great weekend Sitsta!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't ever settle! You only get one chance to live the life you want!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

Gosh such deep messages in such little words and I love it. I can not wait to come back to your blog :) Thank you thank you!

Stefanie Zucker said...

I agree - don't ever settle. There are alot of people who do and try and pretend they're happy, but I think life has a way of settling the score.

Nice to meet you Sitsta!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I am all about not settling, because that's what I've done with all of my relationships until I met my fiance. It's just not healthy to settle for less than you deserve.

And funny story! I would milk it too. Hehe.

Michelle said...

Don't lower your standards and reach for the stars. Have you read "He's just not that into you" While it is difficult to stand by what is said in that book it changed my dating life as a single mom going forward. I met my husband 6 months later and I am so happy I didn't lower my standards to the men around me.

The falling out of bed story is too funny!

Rae Ann said...

I think 'lower your standards' is a loaded phrase. Perhaps 'change your expectations' would be better. A lot of people have this idea of once-I-do-X-I-will-be-effortlessly-happy-forever that is just never going to happen. Like anything worth having, happiness takes effort.

Jessica said...

I think it should be something a little different than "lower your standards." Instead, I think it should be something like, "know your lowest standard and never go below it" haha. Seriously. And I don't mean accept the low, just don't accept it or go lower. You know, live by the "Deal Breaker List."

Make one and stick to it. There are millions of guys/jobs/whatever out there that will have what you're looking for and so we're all more willing to make excuses for them if it's not truly working.

If we seek those things we know are Deal Breaker-free, then we'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the positive things we find (that we may never have had on our Must Have List).

Anyway... don't ever lower your standards.

piecemeal people said...

OK, can I just say that I think it's HILARIOUS that you left him on the floor all night and then didn't wake him up for work?!?Perfect. :)