Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The produce fairy

I have the most wonderful coworker. Every summer and early fall, he showers me with produce. No joke. As Brody and I were getting ready for our day today, I heard Brody exclaim, "Wayne's here again!!"

He was unloading another batch of his awesome gardening skills onto our driveway. Today, we received this huge box of peppers, (3 different kinds!), roma tomatoes,

and apples!! I was so excited about the apples. He said he didn't know if he'd get many this year, or if they'd be any good to give out because last year was such a good year. They look pretty good to me!!

AND - 4 watermelons. HUGE watermelons.
It was like Christmas!
We have already gotten more corn, onions, and tomatoes from him that can fit in our freezer, so this mornings visit was truly a surprise!
Question - there are lots of peppers. Can I freeze them? I have never tried freezing peppers before. Or does anyone have any fabulous pepper recipes to share? Actually, apple recipes also??
Help a girl out.


8 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I don't know about freezing them, but you can definitely dry peppers and then they'll stay good for a really long time. In fact, sometimes they're more potent when they've been dried.

Lisa Anne said...

You can freeze them. I believe like you do with onions you have to blanch them first or sautee them and then freeze them. I wouldn't just stick them in the freezer without doing one of those two things.

I'd google it to be sure. I google everything!

You are so lucky those veggies and fruit look so good. I want someone to deliver them to my house.

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

I need a produce fairy!!

You can freeze the peppers. They must be cooked first though. I usually saute them and store in individual small bags and pull out when needed.

KrisMrsBBradley said...

We've done peppers for years in the freezer. We just cut them into slices, blanch them quickly in boiling water (for about 3-4 minutes), then plunge them right into an ice bath, so they don't really cook too much.

Let them dry pretty well before you freeze them, so they don't form ice crystals. I like using the freezer bags that you can suck all the air out of. They work great for long term freezing.

Oh, and it works best if you put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and freeze them, THEN put them in the bag. That way you can reach in and grab just what you need, instead of having to whack them apart!

Kekibird said...

So jealous! I wish I was a great "green thumb" of a gardener but alas... my green thumb is more brown.

They all look wonderful and what a blessing to have such a sharing coworker.

Brigetta Schwaiger said...

Where can I get me a produce fairy. It all looks fabulous.

Lani said...

I am so jealous of your produce fairy! My garden is wilting in the backyard as we speak. I think i got like 5 zucchinis this year. So depressing:)

I would love for you to stop by the Blog For A Cure Blog Party I am hosting all week long at http://whoknewreviews.blogspot.com!
Its a great way to get new followers, win some prizes and support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

Faye @ GreenOrganicMama.com said...

Happy SITS Sunday! Your comment was above mine :)

Goodness... can I move next door on the other side? LOL! You are a lucky lady! That is an amazing bounty.

We're part of a consumer buying club for organic produce, so we are in awe every Tuesday when we go pick up our 30-pound share! Who knew produce would be so exciting? LOL!

As for the peppers, I would say, roast and then pickle them!!

I'd like to welcome you over to my blog when you get a chance! We're running two giveaways through Columbus Day! There's an organic skin care prize pack from THE BODY SHOP up for grabs, and HALLOWEEN SAFETY TATS, which your son would love :)

Have a great day!!

Faye @ GreenOrganicMama.com