Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Time to go shopping...


So, I've been trying for about 2 hours to decide what Brody is getting for Christmas. I can't even believe how hard it is this year. I haven't decided my budget for him yet (until I know for sure what my bonuses are going to be), so that doesn't help. Last year, I spent $300 on him, and that bought A LOT of toys. This year, it seems everything he "wants" is either at least $50 or....just stupid. I don't like buying stupid toys that I know he won't play with, or that are going to break right away. I don't waste money.

I know that no matter what, Santa HAS to bring him the pirate ship set above. He still sleeps with his toybook every night, even though it's ripped up and crumpled so much you can barely tell what is on the pages anymore. If he doesn't get this ship, he will be crushed. and REALLY mad at Santa.


Another thing I think I am going to do, is add on to his Geo Trax train set. They have an awesome airport now, that attaches to the train. He has the main Grand Central Station already, so I was thinking of getting one of the planes to go with it, and maybe a bridge and another train.

One of the things that he wants, but I am really not wanting to get him, is this.


He loves Ironman. I think maybe even more than Spiderman. But this stupid thing shoots those plastic things and I don't like that. I know what he will be taking aim at (the dog, the cat, the tv, the lamps, ME). I don't mind the mask so much, because I know he would have fun with that, pretending to be Ironman, but really, why does the toy have to shoot things??
I would much rather give him this. No shooting involved, and he'd still play with it. A lot probably.


I don't know about that one yet. I think for the grandmas and grandpas and uncles and aunts, I 'm just going to assign a theme to each gift giver, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Handy Manny, John Deere, Transformers, etc. (Sometimes I am amazed I know so much about boy toys. I am such a girl.)

...and of course, some little things and stocking stuffers. I already bought Lincoln Logs awhile back, (the huge set that makes a whole town) and I found this -
Isn't he awesome??

So, my question is this, how much do you spend on your children, and do you buy stupid toys just because they want them, or should I get him what I want him to have instead?

5 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

No children. But we get Mabel dog biscuits. :) And I've gotta say, that pirate ship is pretty darn awesome. In fact, I'll go out ona limb and say that Matt would get excited about it. :)

♥ Becky ♥ said...

It's so hard to shop for kids. I have a boy and a girl and every year it becomes more and more impossible to figure out what to get them. And the older they get the more expensive the items are they want. It's just insane. :-)

Good luck though. I'm in agreement with on the shooting thing. I never buy my boy anything that involves shooting.

Claremont First Ward said...

I personally think we spend too much on our kids. My oldest is getting a Nintendo DS and clothes and filler thing. I'll probably spend around 100-150 on the others....but when they are so small, I don't think one needs to spend that much. But that's just miserly old me.

LOVE Mr. Pototo head!

WheresMyAngels said...

I so don't know what I'm getting my girls, the youngest wants everything, the other two dont care.

Becca said...

I think you should get him half what he wants and half what you want, that seems the most fair.