Monday, January 12, 2009

24 Books


I want to read more books this year.  At first, I was going to try to read 50 books in 2009.  Then I realized that in my crazy life, that is ridiculous.  Instead, I am going to try for 24, which is 2 a month (average).  There might be a few months where I don't read any, and in the summer, I'm sure I'll read more.  I think I can do 24.  

I just finished my first book, The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.  It was good, not great, but still the same Nicholas Sparks that I love.  Easy reading, and you love the characters.  It was one of those where you already know how it's going to end, but you keep reading it anyways.

I am not sure what I am going to read next.  I need to get to the library and Barnes and Noble.  I have the second and third Twilight books waiting for me, but I just can't get into the mood to read them.  I really liked the first one, but I didn't love it.  I just don't think I'm ready to read them yet.  

So I need some book suggestions.  Not just chick books either, I like books where I actually learn something too.  What are your faves right now?

Today was kind of a scary day.  It snowed last night, and then around noon the wind started blowing.  We were told to leave work around 12:30, and I live about 15 minutes away.  It was probably the scariest drive home I have ever had.  ZERO visibility, the WHOLE way home.  Already drifting on the highway.  It sucked.

Brody's daycare is about a mile out of town, and their road drifts bad.  I made it out there (I don't really know how, I couldn't see anything).  Rick, (who is also my part time boss) was in there, and told me to call when I got home.  We left and didn't even make it up the first hill before we were in the ditch.  So he comes, and says he'll get the guys to get my car out before someone hits it and he'll drive us into town.  So here we are in his big diesel truck and he can't even make it further than the top of the hill.  So back to the house we go.  

It turned out okay.  The guys got my car out, (good thing too, because another mom wound up in the same spot about 15 minutes later.)  We sat around for awhile until it seemed to clear up a bit, and then we tried again, and this time made it into town.  I left my car out there.  Which means I'll probably be staying home tomorrow too.  Snow Day!!  Wish I had some books to read!

9 comments:

Doublebanker said...

The weather is only suppose to get suckyier. The temp is supposed to drop below zero on Wed/Thurs with the strong wind. Keep warm...

Had to check out yer adsense on cabinet painting...hope you got a few nickels :)

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Oh,my...Thank goodness someone is looking out for you.
I am currently on the third of the Stefanie Meyer series and they are pretty good--really long but entertaining. They made the first one-Twilight- into a movie. They aren't really scary and there is some romance there. Just a suggestion.

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Thanks for coming by my blog today :)
I haven't read that book yet. (In fact, I must be out of the loop because I've never seen it either). Yay, a new book!

Tiffany said...

I love reading and books. Have you read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg? Or The Secret Life of Bees? Or Memoirs of a Geisha? Or The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver?

I'll stop now. Those are some of my favorites that I've read recently.

Denise Grover Swank said...

I've never read Nicholas Sparks. I think I might be the only woman in the US that hasn't. I bought The Notebook but haven't read it yet. My goal is to read more books too. I put a book shelf on my sidebar and I'm putting the books I read there. Its called Shelfari it at Shelfari.com if you are interested.

Thank goodness you were safe in the snow storm! Its wonderful that you have people so willing to help you.

Anonymous said...

Other than the Harry Potter books, I haven't read anything in years. I used to like Michener. The Drifters was pretty good but it was long, at least if I remember correctly. :)

DiPaola Momma said...

Well the nice thing is that it's soooo darn cold in your neck of the woods you can't do much more than read.. well if you didn't have such a cutie pie guy to play with! KILLER SMILE HE HAS!!! Oh, I cry when I read Sparks' books.. want a laugh? Try "Hyprocrite in a Poofy White Dress" By Susan Jane Gillman.. she is a sassy crack up!

I'm popping in, a bit tardy, to welcome you to my followers and wish you the VERY best of luck in winning my "Woo Hoo in a Box?" contest. I know there will be things added that you guy will dig. Remember I've got 4 kiddies and two arround his age. Don't forget to stop by tommorow and see if you've won the first "Pay it Forward" prize. Thanks again, I'm honored you read my blog!

Sig said...

Glad you entered my giveaway, hope you win!
I will compile a list of all our favorite books when the contest is over.
My favorite is The Red Tent and currently The Shack :)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that I finished more audio books than books last year? I had so much laundry and scrubbing and cooking when everyone's asleep, I actually finished a whole bunch of audio books. Try it and see.

check out my list from last year here