I am really conflicted about something (someone) today. You see, I have this ex boyfriend (who is not Brody's father). We haven't actually been together for a year now. Here's a quick version of what went down: We were (are) great together. We both knew (know) it, and so did everyone else. We weren't even together a year yet, and about this time last year, he got scared.
I am three years older than he is, and I have a (now) 3 year old. He still won't admit it, but I know the whole "real life" factor of my life terrifies him. He also had a lot of single friends who liked to give him hell about me, settling down, playing daddy and whatnot, which didn't help. ...and his mom loved me.
So, he decided he just needed a little space. I gave it to him. I was never in any hurry to settle down, have more kids, whatever his friends were putting in his head. SO I didn't push, said I am here, when you are ready. So, playing the hey I'm a single 23 year old, I can do what I want, he ended up sleeping with a 19 year old.(How complete opposite of me can you get than a 19 year old you doesn't have a care in the world or responsibility to anyone but herself).
I was heartbroken. Then, icing on the cake, a month in a half later, he finds out she is pregnant. Boom, he has a live-in pregnant girlfriend. Now, I was devastated. I went through the whole, I should have fought to keep him, how could he do this to me? (yeah, I really thought it was some sort of evil joke).
They of course, were not working out. I chose to move on, and tried my best (successfully) to avoid him at all costs. Then, I hear she either lost the baby, or that there never was a baby in the first place. And she was cheating on him the whole time, and he kicked her out. I still chose to do nothing and continue to hate him.
All of the sudden I was seeing him EVERYWHERE. I realized that I wasn't the only one before who was avoiding the other one. Then one night there was a street dance and he had the guts to come and stand right next to me and talk to my best friends boyfriend. I couldn't believe him. I know now, he was just trying to get me to talk to him, or even look at him, but at the time I was soooo mad. So I texted him (because sometimes it doesn't matter if you delete a number you are still going to know it) and told him just what i thought about his little trick.
We ended up talking that night there in the middle of the street for a good hour, and another 2 on the phone later that night, and have been continually talking (on and off) for the last few months. The problem is, if we just talk on the phone, it's okay. But after a few hours of conversation, you really want to see that person. I will absolutely NOT let him see Brody right now, so that means, if we are going to see each other, it has to be after he is sleeping, which means, more than likely, spending the night. (Don't go thinking I'm a big slut here, because I am not. But I do love to cuddle, especially with someone I care about :)
So I will let him come over, we'll cuddle, talk all night, get that much closer, and then, boom! again, he pulls away. Not so much, but enough that it's more like 1 step forward, 4 steps back. I know he cares about me. I also know that (especially now after his own real life scare) that he is terrified of commitment and he has said to me, exact words, I know if I am with you again then that is it for me. Like his life is over. I don't know how to take that.
It is hard for me to tell him exactly what I want and how I feel, because I do not trust him anymore. Our old relationship is broken, we can't use it as a crutch, we need to build a new one. He, being a dumb boy, seems to think we can just keep this long drawn out process going until he decides he's ready to grow up. But for me, it's not working.
I know I want to be with him, and I miss him terribly. But his logic is lost on me. I feel like he's stringing me out, waiting for something better to come along, which he gets really defensive about, saying that's not true, there's no one else, that he just needs to be him for awhile.
One thing I want to make clear: I have not asked or pushed for anything here. Ever, actually. I am just fine with him being my boyfriend, living in his house, while I live in mine, a 12 minute drive away. I have not ever pushed for him to spend time with Brody, and really, they didn't. Just enough so they were comfortable with each other. How he thinks "his life is over" and no more fun, I don't know. Maybe because he has to actually commit his feelings to me when we are together? Who knows.
I know if I just be patient and wait, it'll happen. Very patient. But, part of me wonders why I am? I don't want to end up settling for less than what I want. Which I guess is why I wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Hollie, this is tough. I dont know you or him personally, so it's not really possible for me to give good advice. I will tell you this; when I met Matt he persued me at all costs. I never doubted him, or his devotion. It was always clear that he wanted me more than anything in the world; no mind games. I wish that for you. If this is the man who can give you that, go for it. If not... he's not he one.
So sorry you are going through this. I know its easy for me to say but my advice to you is this: He is not right for you. It may seem like he is but the right person for you would not be scared, would not disrespect you in any way no less the ways he has already. You need to set a higher standard and find someone who doesn't make you feel torn at all. You'll know when you found him because he won't want to leave your side.
Thank you. I think this is exactly what I wanted and needed to hear.
I feel much better about the situation today.
We had a long talk this weekend and I pretty much laid down some ground rules. Not really an ultimatum, but good steps to where we need to be.
Hey thanks for visiting me...I am saying a big AMEN to Liz & mrs. limestone up there. Rules or no rules, I vote Mr. Ex OFF the island. You don't need to wait around for him. You deserve better than that!
Do not settle for less than what you want. I've made a huge mistake in the past and ended up in a 13 year marriage with someone I could not stand after I realized them for who they truly wore. 13 years of an unhappy marriage, were such a waste of my life. I wish I would of left him after two years when I truly realized he was not worth my time of my daughters.
Hoping for the best for you!
Post a Comment