Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My love of art. Mainly, Picasso.

My junior and senior years in college, I fell in love. I was an art student, and taking a variety of classes. Acrylic Painting, Watercolor, Figure Drawing, Sculpture, and Printmaking, several graphic design classes, and Art History.

For all art students, Art History is a love/hate relationship. It is a HARD course. But, for the love of art, you go to class, study those slides and soon can tell just by looking at a piece what period it was created, what was used to create it, and even who created it. It can be very rewarding, and I, like many of my classmates, thrived on it, loving to learn, and thirsting for more.

Our professor was one of my favorites. He was a funny man, my printmaking professor, and also, my Advisor, so he took an active interest in my education. I loved the one on one time, soaking it all in.

We had to write a paper each semester, and I gave him my list of possible topics, and he flat out said no to each of my ideas (They were all pretty basic, easy to write a paper on ideas). This was not standard, so I asked him why. He asked me who my favorite artists were.
So I named off Picasso, Paul Klee, Kandinsky, Cezanne, etc. He looked at me, opened up my book to THIS PAINTING


and said, you are writing your paper on this. And that is where it all began. I started reading as much as I could, (with what free time I had between classes, art, studying, working 36 hours a week AND just being a college student and having a social life). And my paper on Les Demoiselles d'Avignon and the Beginning of Analytical Cubism began. I became obsessed with Picasso, and Cubism, and the use of color. I used it in every art class, sculpture, printmaking, watercolor, everything I did, was a study on Analytical Cubism, or a tribute to Picasso. For my Painting II Final Project, I combined Les Demoiselles with Picasso's Three Musicians

to create a tribute piece, along with another lengthly paper. Here is a (bad) picture of it.


This painting is currently hanging on the wall in my basement. I haven't really THOUGHT about it for quite some time. Then a few weeks ago, while I was deciding what color to paint my chest, and a few other projects I want to get started on, I opened my trusty old 20 pound Art History book from college for inspiration.

There staring at me was my paper and the painting that started it all, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. and Color!! I had forgotten about color! and how I loved to use it.

Since I have had Brody, I haven't done much for art. I used to spend all Saturday painting or drawing, taking in classes, whatever I could do. But I don't anymore. I have a corner in my basement all set up with my paints and an easel, even a blank white wall. But nothing but blank canvases sit there.

I do art projects with Brody all the time, painting and coloring, clay, etc. But nothing for me. So I have decided to add some color to those canvases. And Brody is going to help.

We were watching Jon and Kate plus 8 the other night, and those kids made the COOLEST paintings on canvas. It inspired me even more, to get back to me love of art, and make sure Brody really catches the bug too. Then, hopefully it won't be so hard for me to break away and give myself some much needed creative time in my little corner studio.

7 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Sounds like a great idea and a win-win situation.

Make sure you take pictures of the final products!

Tanielle said...

WOW! How I wish I had that kind of talent! Awesome!

Have a great day, and I can't wait to see your finished pieces!

scrappysue said...

my daughter studied art history in her first year of her design degree last year. she would find this fascinating. what talent u have. thanks for much for stopping by!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh yes, get back into it girl! Sounds like it is a passion of yours and you definately need to pursue it!

I am so sorry that I forgot to thank you for the makeup! I got it last week when I was out of town so I didn't even get to post about it. I LOVE the colors! and all the samples you gave me were an added bonus! So thank you so much for sending that to me and for all the care you put into it. You. Are. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I really admire anyone with any artistic ability because I pretty much have none!

Carebear said...

That is AWESOME that you've decided to share your love of art and your talent with your boy! I was an English major in college but secretly wanted to study art history. I have no artistic ability, but an awe and admiration for those who do - like you! Your combination painting is great. Just stopped by to say thanks for entering my Support the Troops giveaway! I’ll be drawing two winners on Tuesday. Hope you’re one of them!

Linda said...

what a wonderful idea! Brody and painting---your two loves---and together.....Be sure to post results of both your love labors!