Sunday, March 8, 2009

Our weekend

This is my current project.  This old dresser was left in the house.  It is the cutest little thing, and it will look perfect in my dining room. I am kicking myself for not taking a before picture.  It was soooo bad.  It was painted a horrible, fake yellow wood color, on top of what was a gorgeous wood stain.  

I have been debating over whether to stain it again, or to paint it a fun color.  My aunt has a large teal buffet in her dining room and I just love it.  I have been working and working on this thing all weekend, with a bottle of paint thinner, a scraper and a ton of sandpaper.  I am so happy that it is almost ready.  The back still needs a little work, but I can see the end.

I have decided to go with a color.  Although it would look great in a nice stain, I just feel that it will look more "me" and fit my style better painted.  I have chosen a really lovely mossy green color, like the greens in my table runner.  I can't wait to paint her!  (We've gotten pretty close over the last few days, so I feel comfortable in calling her "her" now! :)

Brody has been busy this weekend too.  He "wrote" his name out all by himself for the first time!  (I know it's half backwards, but I am still so happy and excited for him!)  He was SSOOOOOOO proud of himself.  He has already gotten better at it. I know he is going to do really well in preschool next year.  We only have a 4 year old class here, so he couldn't go this year.  

He has also painted some lovely new pictures for our refrigerator.  This one is a flower.

And he decided to decorate all my new file folders for me too.  Here is me "with my hand on his head so he doesn't get away."

And this is my giving him a hug!  Awwwww....


Oh, and please enter my giveaway, and check out my website!  Between my mark. sales and selling a few things I don't need on craigslist, I have about $55 saved so far in the dishwasher fund!!  

Now that I've had a few girl scout cookies and a Diet Coke, I need to clean the house and figure out what's for dinner.  Hopefully there is enough cheese for  a lasagna.  

10 comments:

jewelstreet said...

That is a great piece! I hate when people paint over stain. It makes it so much harder in the end to put it right. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Rhea said...

I love Brody's art! Especially the file folder with you with your hand on his head. Your dresser project looks great. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Sandy said...

Hi! I stopped by from SITS!
That is a great piece of furniture! My father always has something that he is refinishing and he has a dresser very similar to that.
Kid art is just the best, isn't it?

Lani said...

stopping by from sits- can't wait to see the finished product!

Beth said...

The art work is just precious! I especially love the hugging one!!

Love the dresser too. Can't wait to see it finished!

(visiting from SITS)

Patty said...

This is my first time visiting your blog. I love the pictures your son drew. I'm a teacher and I love when my kids draw for me. And I have many nieces and nephews and they draw for me. I have some posted on my blog...adorable.

I'm glad you went with color for you dresser. I think it's going to look great!

suzanne cabrera said...

Awwww, love the artwork...especially the flower. You've got some serious talent in your family!

The Shabby Princess said...

I love your table runner! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Fifi Flowers said...

SITS is divine... soooo fun to visit and meet fellow SITSAs!
ENJOY your day!
Fifi

Doran & Jody said...

I think you ought to frame some of his art work and hang it in his room!!